Tuesday, August 2

what's the appeal?

News flash: I have curves. Regardless of my size, too. I had them at size 16+ and now at size 2/4/6/8. (Sorry, I had to...numbered sizing is so frustrating these days). Maybe I should say, I had curves at 200+ pounds, and now at 75 pounds lighter. It's my body shape, and I'm really okay with it (after a period of struggle, of course).
The only thing is, I have noticed that it is very hard NOT to look overtly sexy in anything form fitting. I don't mind flaunting my figure from time to time, but I really don't think the office is the place for that. When I wear form fitting skirts or pants, I like to wear a more structured top or at least a structured top layer to keep things from going "there".
This dress is very fitted from top to bottom. I've had it for several years actually, but have never worn it to work, and only worn it on a date or two. It's never appeared on the DS before.
It's a great date dress on its own, but in order to make it work for the office, I like wearing a longer blazer or cardigan over it. I'm not hiding my shape, I'm just saving it for the right occasion. ;)
What are your thoughts on sex appeal and the work place? Do you feel "sexier" in certain clothes? Does it make you uncomfortable in some settings over others? If you are curvy, do you find yourself at a slight disadvantage in this area?
Dress: LOFT, Cardigan (archives): Nordstrom, Shoes: Steve Madden, Ring: Express, Watch: Michael Kors

5 comments:

  1. I like this look - I really like your sweater! My daughter has one like it. The shoes - well, they look great on YOU but they make me think of pain! LOL Very pretty pics!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok now I wanna see the dress without the cardigan on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Sarah. You just might sometime.
    @Dawn, flats say "pain" to me. Wedges of any height are the most comfortable shoes I own. I have high arches, and these have the best support of any shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curvy too, and like you I feel that some clothes just makes me look more sexy than I want to sometimes. Although I'm mostly at peace with my body shape, I find that sometimes it doesn't go with certain styles that I'd like to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you have curves! I find my curveless body needs the sexier fits, just to look "normal"...even in the office. Still working on that. Your shoes are amazing - you're right about wedges. You also matched the colors well (watch included!).

    ReplyDelete