Friday, August 12

life & style: black, blue and hot

I love navy and black together. It's so rich! I prefer when it is done intentionally, for example, two solid pieces together or a print, as opposed to subtle contributions from one shade or the other.
Seventy-five percent of my closet is black. I love wearing black, but the older I get the more I notice how it ages me, so here's a way I can wear it while still grasping at my fleeting youth. O:)
We are at 58 days of over 100+ degrees so far this year, and we have had several wildfires in the greater Austin area this week. It makes me sad.
There is no rain the forecast, and no end in site for the heat. It makes posing for pictures a little less fun, but you all keep me going. I know the rest of you who live in hot places still have to get dressed, so if you can do it, so can I. :)
I appreciate all of you very much, and while our conversation often seems one sided, I do try to imagine your life as I post about mine. xoxo
Happy Weekend!
Top: Hinge (archives), Trousers: Gap, Shoes: Steve Madden, Watch: Michael Kors, Ring: Martin + Osa

13 comments:

  1. I must have subliminally channeled your love of navy-and-black earlier this week when I wore a black high-waisted pencil skirt and a navy button-up to a meeting with a client. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!
    And love the white-ish polish on your toes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 AM

    I love the navy & black combo! Your style is inspiring, love your blog & read it every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Birds, thanks! This polish is one of my latest favorite things!
    @Anony, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Westsidebee11:01 AM

    Thanks for sharing! I am in beautiful and cool southern California so maybe you shouldn't be picturing my life over here ;) We've had like 5 days over 90 this summer.

    But, I'm from Austin, and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I subscribed to your blog precisely because I recently moved to Texas and had no idea how to dress in this kind of heat. Thanks for being an inspiration...I am slowly acclimating but the weather here is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black and blue is one of my favorite color pairings, as long as it's not on my skin! :) You dress lovely for such hot weather. A key for the heat is certainly nice flowy fabrics and drape such as this top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Send some heat our way here to Seattle, it isn't even 60 in the mornings and I don't want to wear any of my skirts and dresses out! But you look great, I have my eye on the navy tie blouse from the BR Mad Men collection - thinking I may have to splurge and get it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Westside, I'm a native San Diegan, how funny. I lived in the Seattle area most of my life, though. I'm a west-coaster at heart, and while I adore Austin, the heat is BRUTAL this summer!
    @Paisley, welcome to Texas! Please tell me you were here this spring. The two weeks of spring in Texas make it worth it the rest of the year. ;)
    @ Lisa, thank you!
    @ lowcarb, I'd GLADLY give you some of this heat. Would 20 degrees be okay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AccountingNerd11:39 AM

    Constructive(hopefully) criticism: I've noticed that you buy your pants very tight-fitting. You have a great figure, but super tight pants aren't very flattering. But, if you like it, that's all that matters I guess. I just thought the point of the blog is to get other people's opinions, so that's mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your perspective, AccountingNerd. I love a variety of pant fits, from slouchy and flare jeans, to skin tight. There's an appropriate occasion for all of them, in my personal style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel12:01 PM

    I adore this outfit, the balance of flowy/fitted, the navy/black, fresh face and killer wedges. Sigh, eye candy... :-}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great outfit, and I love how the black makes the navy stand out.
    "One-sided conversations" is a great observation. It does feel like that sometimes, but I've gotten used to it. FB is easier because all the conversations are in one place so they're easier to follow and engage more, but I like that blogs are our own little oases on the internet, where we can talk about the topics *we* want to.

    ReplyDelete