Thursday, August 25

DIY: cut offs

I'm seeing adorable white cut off shorts everywhere! I've tried quite a few pair on, but nothing worked. They were either too short (I don't need to share my pocket linings with the world), or too long (I have a shorts sweet spot length - too long and it gets dowdy).
Enter DIY cut offs. :)
Everybody I know in the fashion blogging world has already done this. It's nothing knew. I'm pretty sure if you asked your mom, she probably did this in high school.
I'd never done it, but thought, why not? I have nothing to lose.
So I got out my loose jeans and laid them on the floor and took a deep breath, and dove straight in. I am not the most patient person in the world. ;)
I measured the pants from the inseam, adding 1/2" to my desired length in case I messed up. Because again, I'm not the most patient person in the world.
I marked the spot with a sharpie and then snip, snipped away. It was kind of fun. :)
I threw the new shorts into the wash, and then into the dryer, and out come some cut offs with super long fringe.
I like fringe, just not super long fringe. Feels like there's a spider crawling up your leg. And that is never fun.
So I snipped away the long strands, and voila! I have cut offs!
I'll show you the finished product tomorrow, but here's a sneak peak!
I'm no cut-off genius, but here are a few tips:
1. Be patient (don't let the fabric wrinkle while you're cutting the legs off, it makes it look as though a shark attacked the pants)
2. Leave extra room in case you mess up (see #1)
3. Find shorts or pants that are a little loose. This is probably personal preference, but I'm not a fan of skin tight cut offs. O:)
Do let me know if you take the plunge and try cut offs of your own!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember doing this! Was thinking of doing it to some of my jeans that are worn at the bottom now -- might try it (if I get brave!).
    They look great on you. I agree w/ the length.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it, Dawn! Let me know how it turns out. I may swing by my local Goodwill to grab a few more pair of jeans in various shades and try this more.
    I fell in love with some dark purple J Brand shorts, but they were a leeeeedle too short. Maybe I'll have to find some less expensive purple jeans to chop chop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite pair of shorts in high school came from a pair of jeans I cut off. I wore those things until they had holes in the butt and then I put some patches over the holes and kept wearing them. I haven't made cut-offs in a long time, though!

    Looking forward to the full reveal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Those turned out great! I've been wanting to do this too, but I don't have any white denim to cut off and I can't find any in the stores that I like either. As soon as I find some, I'm cutting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:51 PM

    Great legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never cut jeans into shorts, but I am keeping this idea in mind for a baggy pair I have. This might have just saved them from the donation pile.

    ReplyDelete