Tuesday, July 12

summer vacation IV



For the second leg of our trip, we met my dad (real, biological...I just call them both Dad and it works for me. Try to keep up.), step mom, half sister, and step mom's daughter for a few days on the Oregon Coast. Both my (real? full?) sisters were there as well, along with my brothers in law.
We stayed at this quaint little Victorian style hotel called the Sylvia Beach Hotel located RIGHT on the beach in tiny Newport, Oregon.
Each room in the hotel is decorated after a particular author, such as Hemingway, Tolkein, Dickinson, Christie, etc. Our room was Gertrude Stein.
The top of the hotel is a library that has an excellent view. The most popular activity other than wandering the beach below is snuggling up with a great book and catching up on some reading.






It was so relaxing just to wander to the beach for the whole day and either read, take a nap, fly a kite, get buried in sand, or play fetch with someones dog. :)

Sandwiched between my two sisters. :)



On the 4th of July we wandered into "town" for some grub and to check out all the little shops. The candy store was the most popular, I'm afraid to say.
We checked out the harbor and decided on a place to come back to watch fireworks later.



After what felt like an entirely too short a vacation, we headed back to Seattle to fly back home.


And luckily not without spotting this iconic northwest treasure...Mt. Rainier.
I hope you have had or will have a great adventure this summer. Most of our vacations are centered around family, and quite honestly I'm okay with that because we are exceptionally close. XOXO to you all. :

7 comments:

  1. Sarah, I have thoroughly enjoyed your lovely vacation recap! Just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:40 AM

    Thank you for the vacation pictures. I love Seattle but my heart is in Newport. I spent three vacations there. Love it and the candy store. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures Sarah, you brought the sunshine to the NW with you.
    You and your family look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely vacation with great weather. And right on the beach, so relaxing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We visited the Oregon coast in September prior to moving to Austin. These photos bring back many fond memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! We did have a wonderful time, and in such a pretty spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! My Dad has told me about that hotel forever and how he wants to take me there someday (he's a book editor, we're both book-reading fiends)! I'm going to have to remind him. ;-) Gorgeous photos- the PNW really is one of the most beautiful places on earth!

    ReplyDelete