Tuesday, June 28

real

When I was little my parents pulled me from a class from school, so every day for a few weeks they'd pick me up and take me to lunch and/or shopping. I remember nearly completing my hardback Nancy Drew collection one afternoon, and then another afternoon they bought me cubic zirconia earrings. I felt like a princess wearing those. When I got back to school, my classmate asked me if my earrings were real or fake.
I had no idea what he meant! So I asked my dad and he said, of course they're real...earrings. :)
That story sticks with me whenever I buy accessories now. I don't have the budget to buy "real" anything very often, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think if you love something and it makes you feel like a million bucks, it's worth $9.99. ;)
I think it's important to develop a critical eye when it comes to costume jewelry, though. Too fake and it just looks cheap. Nothing I'm wearing today is "real" (with the exception of my wedding rings, of course), but it all has a classic, timeless look to it.
I don't have many accessories in my box, but the few I have I love. How do you go about buying accessories? Do you find specific things to work with specific outfits or do you just pick up what tickles your fancy and work it in as you can?
Do you only wear "real" jewelry or do you have costume pieces as well?
Top: Robbi & Nikki (archives), Pants: Gap (archives), Shoes: Nine West "Ponti", Watch: Michael Kors, Cuff: JCrew, Ring: Harolds, Lips: MAC "Morange"

9 comments:

  1. Your top is beautiful! The color is fabulous as well as your bracelet.

    I don't have a lot of "real" jewelry either, but I love costume jewelry. Usually I just buy jewelry if I think it's pretty and figure out how to wear it with my outfits. You can get some fun unexpected combos this way in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the orange/coral with the black. Looks as lovely as with the blue shorts previously. I wonder how it looks with gray? For jewelry, I have more "real" pieces than costume, but that's hubby's doing. They are all very small in size. One stone really. He was in a phase for a while of purchasing the same size pendant necklaces. He has since been cut off, after all I only have one neck and then I feel bad not wearing them daily. Also they are so small, you don't see them in outfit photos very well (I wonder if you see them much in person either). I am slowly adding larger, fun, costume pieces but I am quite picky. I have to see it in the store, think about it for a few days and then go back to purchase it for me to add a new item to my collection. I really like the pieces I've seen on you, and I would never have thought they were costume pieces, each looks very well made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Great thoughts on accessories.
    SJ, that's a great point about fun, unexpected combos.
    Lisa, I just picked up some gray trousers! Definitely will have to try the orange/gray together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Sarah
    Love your blog, loveyour outfits, and your writing style! I wondered how you found the sizing to be in that Ann Taylor crochet sweater you had on a few posts back. It drives me nuts that AT doesn't have reviews online, so I wondered if you found it true to size? Did you buy a small or medium?
    thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you so much!
    That is one reason I love Nordstrom and Zappos. The reviews are excellent!
    I typically wear a 4 in AT tops (6 in bottoms still) and got the sweater in Small. It's supposed to fit roomy/boxy, so if you are between sizes, I'd go up.
    Good luck! It's a fun piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:13 PM

    I'm probably a 6 on top and can wear a small, the medium is all they have left so I better just grab that. Thank you so much for getting back so quickly! I am addicted to reviews now and can't seem to buy without them! Thanks again!
    angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, keep me posted! It's worth trying at any size if you love it that much. I bought the last one my store had...which was the day it hit the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! Love the story too. I thought of you today - was looking at costume jewellry and I had NO IDEA. Honestly, you make it sound easy, but it must be just some big "ugh" for me! I'll have to take my daughters out for some advice. They seem to have the jewellry gene that I don't have!! :)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is such a pretty colour on you, it really makes you glow! I love the shape of the top as well, it's beautiful - and so are you:)

    ReplyDelete