Thursday, May 19

trending

I've noticed I go in phases with my looks. Blogging makes it pretty obvious, I guess. Lately I'm in love with stripes, clean and simple lines, and bold lip color. And I am also always on the lookout for "toppers" or "third pieces" to complete outfits. It's tricky in the summer time, so I don't hesitate if I find something. I saw this sweater online awhile ago and "stalked it" till it got marked down. It's one of those things that's so weird it's right. I imagine I'll wear it more casually, but I was anxious to try it out.
My shopping habits are drastically different than they were two years ago...even than last year. I feel like I browse efficiently so that when I do shop, I don't get romanticized by sale racks or random cuteness. I went to a store the other day with one item in mind, called ahead, had it put on hold, and then when I arrived, I saw the amazing clearance section. I tried a few things on, but at the end of the day, I had to ask myself if what was available there was any better than what I already had. It's not just about filling your closet with awesome things. There are always things to buy. There is of course always room for spontaneity, but being aware of your working wardrobe and the holes it has keeps you from rabbit trails that generally end in frustration.
What are your shopping habits and how do you stay on track? Do you shop with a plan or wing it?
Sweater: Madewell, Pants: Gap, Tank: Target, Shoes: Franco Sarto, Necklace: JCrew

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I really like that, Sarah! It goes great with your hair!

    What kind of pants are those? Crop pants? Skinny jeans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black skinny crops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to shop with a plan, but I definitely am one to get off track if I find a good bargain! I finally picked up the H&M navy blazer I have been wanting. The fact that they didn't have my size for awhile, and now finally did, made me realize how much I wanted it because I kept checking back. Can't wait to wear it though! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. GInny5:39 PM

    love the sweater!!! i find i go thru phases with my shopping habits i wiull do good for a while have a plan stick to it and the other times i am easliy distracted and don't know where to start or when to cut it off!!!!! I am getting better however with trying to keep to basics and a few fun items along the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts! Amy, those are the gems you know are meant to be.
    I have found lately that the items I scope out online before hand and think through for a few days are usually the only things I walk out the store with when I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been working on my shopping habits. In the past I would go when I wanted something to do, and just purchase whatever caught my eye. Now I try to keep in mind: color, fit, and function. Streamlining my wardrobe is making it easier to know in a store if something I am eyeballing will work with what I already own or not. I also preview on line often, to help target a store or particular item I need to fill a wardrobe hole. If something not on my list strikes my eye in a store I will still check it out, but I don't random shop like I used to. I also created a spreadsheet of my clothes, to help identify holes, track items worn and continue to purge. I find it's easy to pick up many items of a current trend, since you will see a lot of twists on a trend in stores at the same time.

    ReplyDelete