Friday, May 20

prep school

Today is my third submission for Pretty Shiny Sparkly's "Bloggers Do It Better" series. This is my favorite so far. I admit I was very preppy growing up, especially jr. high school, and I've shared before how for my 14th birthday all I wanted was a red silk blouse, navy blazer, and plaid pleated skirt. As much as I love experimenting with various styles, I never stray far from the iconic designers like Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger, who were the inspirations behind this category. 
If it wasn't in the 90s and about 2000% humidity*, I'd totally wear this. I've joked that I buy my husband ties that I'd also wear for myself. I think they are so sophisticated when paired with feminine details. What's more girly than pearls and silk shorts?
I did cheat though, and rather than re-learn how to tie a tie myself, I asked my husband to help. O:)
If you have the time, go over to Pretty Shiny Sparkly and check out the other submissions. It's always inspiring to see how others create a look using the same guidelines. There is a lot of creativity out there!
* I completely blame said humidity for my hair, grr. But I shouldn't complain too much the weather barely cooperated for taking photos at all. Phew! I'd be sad to miss this submission.
Shorts: Madewell, Top: Gap, Sweater: Martin + Osa (boo), Tie: Ben Sherman, Pearls: Ann Taylor, Watch: Michael Kors, Ring: Harolds, Shoes: Nine West

17 comments:

  1. i love the blue and pink together! the tie is perfect with the outfit, too. you should definitely wear this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the BDIB link.
    So cute with the pink shorts. Very sexy as well.

    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea, you must wear this when the weather cools a little. I enjoy the mix of feminine and menswear, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. It's almost like business on the top, party on the bottom (in a ridiculously good way of course!) with the fun color of the shorts!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so classic! Nothing goes better with this prep look than a gold Michael Kors watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love classics with a twist. And I admire your dedication to prepdom in this humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your shorts I think u did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your bright shorts contrasting with the navy sweater. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i LOVE this look... the layers on top and the pink shorts look amazing. <3shelby

    www.makemesparkly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how mixed it with silky shorts - THAT's how it's done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you should wear this outfit. You are totally rocking the look. Bright shorts are a surprise and very cool!

    I’d love it if you would stop by and see how a 45+ year old handles “Prep School”—you might find something to smile about anyway! See you there! http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2011/05/menswear-american-prep-outfits-modeled-by-women-over-45-bloggers-do-it-better/

    We have $75 Dress GIveaway on our right hand sidebar. Win something for yourself!
    The Chief Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice simple efortless looks, really like the coral shorts :)
    http://insidekatouscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those silk shorts are adorable. I love your tie look. you did it wonderfully! So happy to have found your blog through the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for your comments! I can't wait to check out all of your blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those shorts are sooo stunning. And you pulled them off very well by adding neutral colors with them. NICE!!

    http://thriftyandshameless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete