Friday, May 13

color me surprised

I've mentioned before how I have a sort of purgatory for my clothes that I'm not currently loving at the moment. They either get stored in donate bags or in one of the spare closets.
I've heard of mom's who store half of their children's toys at a time and rotate them through every few months. Keeps things fresh and exciting. I think sometimes clothes are like that too. Some things I buy and wear, wear, wear and then they get a little tired. If I hide them for several months before deciding what to do with them, it gives me the opportunity to get excited about them again before banishing them forever.
Many times I find that I love something more the "second time around" than when I initially got it.
Both this skirt and the top are some of those things. The neckline of the top is really pretty, but a gray tee just wasn't doing it for me last year. I wear it frequently now, and am really thankful I didn't let it go.
The skirt is fun because initially I wore it in the fall and winter, and just with a certain sweater. It has gotten far more use this spring than it has either of the past two fall/winter seasons.
I am a big fan of keeping closets clean and functional, and also of donating things we don't need or use to those less fortunate, but I think it is wise to hang on to some things for awhile and let them recover before you drop the axe. You might be surprised what you can rediscover. :)
Skirt and Tee: JCrew (circa 2008), Sandals: DV for Target: Bracelet: Nordstrom Rack, Watch and Belt: Fossil

12 comments:

  1. I really love this look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I love that second pic of you... you look a-MAZE-ing.

    The gray and yellow look great together- it really is a surprise visually. You've got a quiet, simple, feminine tee shirt paired with a eye catching "never would have put those two colors together" bottom. Then you use brown leather to pull the two items together.

    Keep 'em coming... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI - I quoted you on my blog today.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Dawn! And Jess and Donna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cute outfit and a great color scheme. I tend to keep my clothes in two different closets so I can rediscover certain items, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great point - and a way to make something old feel new again. Enjoy your "new" skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I wore my courduroy skirt today too, and it's not winter, or cold out. Oddly enough I think I prefer it with my bare legs better than trying to layer it in the winter. i would never have pulled this out of the donate bag until after seeing you wear your's in two recent outfits. Thanks for the insipriation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the neckline of that tee, it makes it much more than just a simple gray tee. Those sandals are awesome, too!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I featured you on my blog today! Let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely of you, @Therapist. You have a fascinating blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOVE this look, casual, yet sophisticated due to the pencil skirt! :) i love kendi's blog as well and find it fun to mimic her looks because she just rocks! love your blog!

    Miyan

    www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you brought that skirt out! I love it on you, and every way you style it is fab. Between this one and that great dusty olive Halogen skirt, you could rock the skirts all next fall.

    ReplyDelete