Wednesday, April 13

opposites are attractive

It catches me off guard when I hear people call me a girly girl. I immediately think of all the reasons why I am not.
But then I realize that the first impression of me is what I wear, and I have to admit that I do look very girly and "feminine". Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
I guess I'm just used to comparing myself to the girls who had dolls, played dress up, read romance novels, and enjoyed getting their hair curled.
But underneath this exterior of pink, lace, and pearls, I'm actually not all that girly. I love sports, sometimes even more than my husband. I have lost my voice at football games, and lost feeling in my feet at basketball games. I am a Crossfiter, and have the bruises to prove it.
I have "man hands" calluses, and leave the gym absolutely filthy every day.
I love BBQ, and would rather stock up on that and watch a football game than get a mani and pedi and go to a fancy restaurant.
Thank goodness I don't have to choose, though. My worlds need not collide. In fact, I think it's a fun contrast. I get the best of both worlds. When I want to dress up, I can. When I want to toss around weight or wear a Longhorns tee shirt, I can. And I'm just as happy either way.
So over to you. Is how you dress an exact reflection of your personality? Do you have two separate lifestyles and dress differently for them?
Top: Nanette Lepore, Cardigan: JCrew, Belt: JCrew, Skirt: Halogen, Shoes: Nine West, Watch: Michael Kors
I had some time this morning, so I spent a little more time on my makeup.
Shadows: MAC Coppering, MAC Shroom, MAC Overgrown
Liner: MAC "Duck" pencil, MAC Black Noir eye pen

5 comments:

  1. That pink lace top is absolutely gorgeous! I really appreciated this post, as I too dress in mostly skirts, dresses and heels but love playing sports or watching football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with me it's pretty much what you see is what you get. What I wear to work all week I easily wear on the weekends for errands or getting together with friends. In fact, it's almost stressful for me to get really dressed up for something because I have so little that is really dressy. I don't need to dress up often, so I simply don't have much that fits the bill for that. But, overall, I'm happy with my style. I think it fits my life and personality, and I don't wear graphic tees and jeans all the time like I used to, so I've grown my style up a little. ;-)

    I really love this outfit, btw. It is very feminine, but I like the combination of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I've been struggling with a lot over the past couple of years. I consider myself more girly than tom-boyish (I'm too lazy to DO any sports, and I don't really like watching anything but hockey, and I haaaaaate feeling sweaty), but necessity demands that I dress in clothes that can get dirty, torn, and move around in. My coworkers always see me in jeans, a regular (non-fitted) tee, Nikes, and my glasses. They're always shocked if I stop in on my day off and I'm wearing heels, nicer pants/jeans, or a dress, and my contacts. I have two clothing worlds that I have to keep separate, but if my job and my passion (photography) didn't require me to crawl around on the ground/cement and get into awkward positions, you'd better bet I'd be wearing heels every day and have my nails done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I dress reflects my mood of the day more than anything else. In turn, it shows off the many sides of my personality. No one is the same way everyday. Lovely soft look on you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be my very favorite outfit from your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete