Friday, April 22

the good, the bad, the not so bad

Bad news is, my camera died. The good news is, I had a backup. The not so bad news is, once I figured out how to use it I could get a few photos that aren't too bad. :)
The BEST news is I ordered a new one that should be in my paws mid next week. I'm so excited, I can't wait!
The camera I'm using belonged to my grandpa, and when he passed away my mom thought I could use it for my blog. It's not a bad camera, I just think there might be something wrong with it. You'll see by looking at the odd colours in these pictures.
But I'm glad I had it as a bridge between the old and the new that's on its way.
And I admit, it was really special turning it on for the first time and seeing some photos of my grandpa I hadn't seen yet. He always had his camera with him, even if he wasn't sure how to use it. It was important for him to be surrounded with photos of the people and places he loved. We miss him.
This look was the one I thought up late one night after I'd recommended this vest to a friend. There is something ironic to me about wearing a designer item with a budget item. I don't know why this is. Maybe the budget item makes me feel less guilty about the designer? Heh. Either way, it's fun, and I love this combination. Very cool, sophisticated, and a little edgy.
Dress: Diane von Furstenberg, Vest: French Connection for Sears, Shoes: DKNYC, Bracelet: JCrew, Watch: gifted from my parents

8 comments:

  1. ah! i can guess what may be the color problem. most point & shoots have auto-white balance, so you kinda have to live with the color they think is best. add that to a brick wall background and you may get some weird color issues-- brick walls are awesome, but they reflect a LOT of red, which can affect skin tones and throw the camera into a bit of confusion, especially if you're shooting on a day when it's partly cloudy and the sun peaks through the clouds and then hides again. even shooting a dSLR with custom-set white balance you'll get weird color casts from that wall.

    granted, your camera may have an ACTUAL problem that i know nothing about, but the white balance + brick wall is my best theory at this point. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this vest, I may have to buy it... sorry I copy you all the time : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it, Amy! It's cute! This is an XS, by the way.
    Jess, that makes sense. I did try to go in and change the WB settings, but obviously that didn't go well. Photos indoors and out generally look orange to me, and about a third of the photos turn out really blurry. I'll be using this for the next several days, so hopefully I can get better at it.
    I'll try a few other backdrops and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea about cameras. Love the outfit, especially the mix of high and low priced items. It's like a dirty little secret when you wear an outfit such as this, no one knows which item is which. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet sentimental use of your grandfather's camera. Enjoy your new one when it arrives. I love mine!

    Pairing low-end and high-end clothes is a favorite outfit twist of mine. $100 shoes and a $20 Target dress, woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, I just stumbled on your blog yesterday and I posted about it today: http://laydownmyidols.blogspot.com/2011/04/wk-16-and-vulnerable.html
    Thanks! I've joined your blog!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend introduced me to your blog and I've been following it since around the first of the year. I'm older (52 and trying to figure out when in the heck those wrinkles happened) but have been able to adapt many of your looks to be age and lifestyle-appropriate. Actually, you have such a classic, simplistic style that adapting it hasn't been much of a challenge at all. I'm a housewife rather than a career woman and live in an area where jeans or *choke* pajama bottoms and tee's are the normal errand-running dress code, but I just can't do that. I'm too old to wear a shirt announcing that I've been to Hooters *LOL* Unfortunately, I don't have the vision to pull things together that won't make me stick out like a sore thumb when I have to run into "the Wal-Mart" but make me feel pretty and well put together; I thank you for being the visionary on my behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and a P.S. to my previous long-winded post: Congrats on your weight loss! Over the past three years I've lost about 120 lbs. myself so know what a difference it makes in how you feel about yourself. Being healthier, being more fit...it's a good thang :)

    ReplyDelete