Thursday, March 17

paper dolls

I hate to be an energy zapper, but I am so.tired. Normally I can blame a cat, a neighbor dog, the bright street lamps, or my husband's never-quiet Blackberry, but lately, I think my problem has been that I *am* so tired. You know what I mean, that too tired to sleep kind of tired?
Today will be a good day, though. I'm doing one of my 3-4 shopping extravaganzas of the year. I have a shopper at my favorite store that I love to work with. She helps me plan out my closet for the season. This is generally when I get my staples for the next several months. I have absolutely nothing from last spring/summer that fits, save a few casual items and a pair or two of sandals.
Since this is my dominant season, I minimized my fall/winter purchases for this reason.
That rhymed.
I think it will be nice to get away from work, home, and even Crossfit for a few hours. Hopefully if nothing else I can relax mentally. :)
Whenever I go on these shopping trips I like to dress in pieces vs. a dress. Things that go with multiple items and that are easy to get in and out of. I also try to wear a pair of shoes that are my average heel height to determine whether or not hemlines will need alterations.
I realize this sort of shopping can seem extreme, but planning out the foundations of your closet this way is really a great time and money saver. It also gives me clearer direction for filler pieces, footwear, and accessories. It's also interesting to note that I never return or give away items from these shopping trips. It's always those little impulse buys that get me. O:)
I also wear my best colors because if I don't feel fabulous about myself, I won't like anything I put on. Funny how that works!
Purple is one of my go-to colors. Navy, also. What about you, what colors do you feel your best in?
Blouse: Banana Republic, Pants: Gap, Cardigan: Gap, Shoes: Cole Haan, Watch: Fossil, Ring: Martin + Osa

9 comments:

  1. Found your blog through your feature at YLF and I just love it! Thanks so much for sharing your outfits, story and great sense of style.
    So excited to see what you find today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait to share my finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky to have a shopper to help you out, and planning your wardrobe is a great way to build a solid foundation of clothes that you love and wear all the time. My favourite colours are navy, cream, camel and true red, with the addition of some black and grey for wintertime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what wardrobe foundation pieces you get. I never really understand what is meant when people say wardrobe basics, so this will be good to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SarahW5:59 PM

    I love your ring! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a color analysis, or did I get that wrong? ;-) I'm into that topic, and I love finding bloggers who are as well... Or at least had it done, haha!

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:20 AM

    Love your blog. I found it on YLF. You have a great since of stlye and your story featured on YLF was inspiring to me. I live in Austin and would love to know where and who cuts your hair. Look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MyFavouriteThings, those are beautiful shades. I love them too. I gravitate towards grays, navy, black, beige, with pops of olive, orange red, and dark purple. Mmmm!
    san, I prefer the term wardrobe foundation pieces to basics. Staples or workhorses work, too.
    Lili, I haven't done a color analysis. I just wear colors I like.
    Anonymous, I have the best hairstylist EVER. His name is Nick and he is at Salon Keriz'ma at 183/Avery Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that you wait and plan for your shopping instead of running out to grab one new piece at a time. This had been my flaw and it's not very efficient. I can't wait to see your new haul!

    ReplyDelete