Tuesday, December 7

makeup: current faves

I'm a makeup junkie. I love to shop for makeup, apply makeup, and talk about makeup. If it's on the market, chances are I've tried it. Everyone's skin is different, but I've had excellent luck with the following products.

1. Foundation
Foundation is tricky because there are a myriad of finishes, textures, and colors to choose from. You can pay anywhere from a few bucks to several hundred. I've tried many different kinds, and for the cooler months I have really enjoyed using MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Foundation. The finish is so velvety smooth, but the coverage is quite good. Usually thicker coverage means heavier product, but not so with this product! It is pricey, but a little goes a long way. I use about the size of a pea or two for my entire face. So get yourself to Sephora and try it on to find your ideal shade. I wear #120 "Soft Sand".



2. Blush
Nars makes my favorite blush, hands down. Because I can't pick one shade, I'll just lump them all into one must-have. I like both cream and powder formulas. Nars Cream blush in Cactus Flower got me through the summer months, and now I'm wearing Nars Deep Throat blush in the powder finish.
 3. Eyeliner
I recently discovered this little drug store gem, Almay intense i-color kohl eyeliner. I use a gray shade that is not available online. Gray liner is so soft and smokey without being overly harsh. I line both the upper and lower lid and smudge with the smudger included on the brush.

4. Eyeshadow #1
As a Beauty Insider, I get a little birthday present from Sephora every year. Usually I stick it in somebody's stocking (shhh!), but this year I was excited to try it out. I received a Sephora Collection Colorful Mono Shadow in Aspen Summit. The color is exactly as it sounds...snowy white with silvery pigments to add shimmer. I'm loving this in the corner of my eyes and just below the brow. It's enough of a wintery highlight without making me look like a disco ball. I line my lids with either gray, sapphire blue, or a lovely metallic aqua liner.

5. Eyeshadow #2
Orange is one of my favorite colors (and not just because of the great University of Texas, hehe) to use in makeup because it's so unexpected, but can look so pretty on. I added MAC's "Rule" to my MAC shadow palette recently and it's been a great color to wear alone or in the crease with a black or gray smokey eye.

6. Lipstick
On the topic of orange... I've been hunting for MY red lipstick for a long time. I wanted something orangey red with a definite matte finish. Well, the hunt is over! Meet Nars Heat Wave.

7. Lipstick #2
Most lipsticks dry my lips out, but I've had a lot of luck with Sephora Collection Lip Attitude Lipstick. It's super creamy, but not thick and goopy. It even smells good!

8. Highlighter
Bobbi Brown makes the best, hands down. But I couldn't spend the money on it, so I was happy to find a less expensive alternative. theBalm's Mary Lou-Manizer is less than half the price, and the consistency and pay off are very similar.

9. Nail polish
While technically not makeup, nail polish is another love interest of mine. I love dark shades on my nails (and toes) but lately I've been wearing OPI's Samoan Sand. It blends perfectly with my skin tone, and has no shimmer! Shimmer has it's place, but there's something about a matte nude that makes my fingers look super long and slim.

10. Lipgloss
Julia Roberts is looking so gorgeous in her Lancome advertisements! I love the simple, sultry eye and rosey pink lips. I found a drugstore dup for her lips, it's Revlon Colorstay Mineral Lipglaze in Timeless Nude. Don't let the name fool you, it's a beautiful shade of rosey mauvey pink. One of my few go-to shades for lips.

So next time you're out browsing, give one of these a try. Maybe something will find it's way on your Christmas list. Happy shopping!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, thanks for sharing what you use! I am a NARS Orgasm blush purist; it works for me in every season. But now I will be taking a look at the shades you use too.

    If you ever need another grey eyeliner, I use Laura Mercier's smoky grey kohl version. That one and the black navy are the only two of that line that don't smear around by the end of the day, and I really like the grey the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really want to try Nars blushes sometime, I always hear such wonderful things about them! Next time I have a little extra spending money, I want to get one of their blushes.

    My favorite drugstore foundation right now is Revlon's Color Stay in Early Tan, I love the finish and the coverage - I do find that I have to have my foundation sponge a little moist when I put the foundation on and it goes on much smoother, but I love how long it lasts. I'm always up for trying new foundations though, I have been wanting to try Makeup Forever's HD Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the post! i'm curious about opi, matte? never tried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own any OPI matte polish, but I did try it on. I prefer smoother looking finishes personally. It's better than the suede finish IMO, though.

    ReplyDelete